Thursday, March 14, 2013

Don't Settle for Less

Many of you know my dog Stormie. She is a German Shepherd and will be two years old in May. She recently had a checkup and now weighs 92 pounds. Right now she is laying on the floor chewing on a bone.  She likes to chew on bones.

Sometimes we buy "soup bones" (also called marrow bones) for her from the grocery store.. Apparently, people buy these bones and use them to make soup.  They are bones with some fat and tiny bits of scrap meat and are filled with marrow. STORMIE LOVES THESE BONES!  She tears at the meat scraps and cleans the bone!



One time I was feeling "rich" and in the mood to spoil her, so I bought spare ribs--you know, the ones for humans.  They had some meat on 'em!  And guess what?  STORMIE LOVED THEM!

Given a choice, my dog prefers a meaty bone over an old dried out bone.  There are old bones in the back yard that I have to pick up and throw away because she is no longer interested in them.

Don't settle for an old bone when you can have more.  What do you want out of life?  What do you want from work?  What do you want from church?  What do you want from your family life?  Just before I left for college many years ago, my pastor told me something that I will never forget.  He said, "Ken, you will only get out of school what you put into it.  If you put effort in, you will get more out of it."  (Not his exact words. Thanks, Pastor Harold Smith!)  He was right.  And it is true about everything you do.

Life, work, family, leisure will all be better when you invest time, energy and resources into them.

Don't settle for an old bone--go for the best!

PK

No comments:

Post a Comment