Friday, April 20, 2012

Parable of the Trees


I spend a lot of time walking my German Shepherd dog, Stormie, in the woods at Frances Slocum State Park.  A normal day consists of a morning and evening walk.  Usually, one of those is at Frances Slocum (I also walk the Back Mountain Trail, Kirby Park, and other places.).

As I was walking in the woods early one morning, I noticed the variety of trees.  From hunting those same woods months ago, I can tell you where to find the oak trees and the fruit trees.  There are also small stands of pine trees.  But on this particular morning, what stood out to me was the many varieties of trees.  The non-evergreens were bare.  The trees were different sizes; some tall, some short, some thick, some thin.  Upon further reflection, I realized that different trees served different purposes depending on the type of tree.  Some provide shade or cover; others provide food.

As I noticed the trees, my mind considered how similar they were to people.  There are many, many different types of people in the world, in my community, in the church.  And even though we sometimes categorize people (like we do trees), every person and every tree is unique, and each has a purpose.  At Frances Slocum, the trees contribute to the ecosystem in which they are located.  In the human realm, each individual contributes to society.  Hopefully, your contribution is a positive one.

The same is true in the church.  There is a variety of people in the church, serving in various roles.  But every individual person is a valuable part of the body.

It doesn’t matter what kind of tree you are, just be yourself today.

God bless,
PK

1 comment: