Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pray in the Spirit

“But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.” (Jude 20 NIV)  “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (Ephesians 6:18a NIV)

The Apostles through the Scriptures encourage us to pray in the Holy Spirit.  Paul briefly explains this in two other passages:

·         Romans 8:26 (NIV) In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
·         1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (NIV) For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

There is value in praying in the prayer language of tongues that you received when you were baptized with power in the Holy Spirit.  Pray in the Spirit!  Get alone with God and allow the Spirit of God to intercede for you in a supernatural way.  Jude says that we are to build ourselves up.  We all have days when it seems that we or someone is tearing us down.  We need to be built up in our faith.  The spiritual disciplines of prayer and Bible reading are important, invaluable.  But also take the time to “Pray in the Spirit” and allow God to minister to you.

1 comment: